Address

 

AMARELLI
Fabbrica di Liquirizia

Strada Statale 106
Contrada Amarelli
87068 Rossano Scalo (CS) - Italy

Tel : +(39) 09 83 511 219
Fax : +(39) 09 83 510 512
E-mail : amarelli@amarelli.it
Internet : www.amarelli.it
Museum : www.museodellaliquirizia.it

 



 

The Company Today

 


The best liquorice in the world

It is in this way that the unquestionable authority, the British Encyclopaedia, qualifies Calabria liquorice. The history of this liquorice, which dates back over a thousand years, is closely linked to that of the Amarelli family, known as one of the oldest Houses on this market.

An elixir of longevity in Chinese medicine and according to Hippocrates, this root with a characteristic bitter-sweet taste, and vivifying, digestive and throat-soothing virtues, has been harvested since antiquity on the Calabria Ionian coast, where it grows naturally.

Thus, a stone mould from the 18th century is still being used, the fuel which supplies the boiler is olive marc, which is very environmentally-friendly, and the final phase of the manufacturing, concentration, is still done under the supervision of the "master liquorice maker".
But the sap is now drawn using a very modern tool and all production cycles are computerised to optimise yield and safety.

The final product is very high quality pure liquorice which is completely natural, without additives or sweeteners, with a very pleasant taste and a particular savour.
Simply seeing beautiful black, shiny, smooth liquorice awakens childhood memories when we would buy these delicious sweets after school as wooden sticks or small pieces of liquorice, either plain or flavoured with mint, anise, orange or violet.

Today, Amarelli liquorice is still presented in the famous little tins, decorated with old pictures from the House collection. Typical of the South and a symbol of an Italian art of living, this liquorice is famous throughout Europe, in the United States and even in Australia.


The Liquorice Museum :

The "Giorgio Amarelli" Liquorice Museum, at the ground floor of the family palace, presents old agricultural tools, a collection of women's, men's and children's clothing reminder of the familial origin of the company, equipment and machines used in the making of the liquorice, historical documents, old images and commercial advertising.
The testimony of the industrial activity of the family and the region gathered in this Museum constitute an invitation to discover the life and work of several centuries and which asks only to be continued for a long time to come.

To honour the Amarelli Museum, the Italian Post Office has created, in the collection dedicated to the Italian Cultural and Artistic heritage, a stamp devoted to the “Giorgio Amarelli” Museum which has been printed at 3,500,000 copies.



 



Key Dates of the
Company's History

 

 

 

The Amarelli arrived from the north before the year 1000 and rapidly founded a vast domain in Calabria, by uniting a large number of large latifundia. During the same period, they received the title of barons for military exploits.


1469

In 1469, the family obtained the privilege of adding the coat of arms of the Aragon Kings to their own. In Rossano, the shield on the door of the oldest family palace and that on a Cathedral alter bear witness to this privilege. During this period, the Amarelli began building a fortress to defend themselves from their enemies and to protect the centre of their various activities, notably agricultural activities.


1500

Around 1500, the Amarelli, as well as all the large land owners, began the first harvest and sales of liquorice root on their estates, in order to improve their land by letting it lie fallow before planting.


1731

In 1731, the Birth of 200-Year-Old
Know-How :


When Paolo Amarelli died at the age of 104, his son Fortunato and his grandson Paolo Fortunato created a "concio", one of the first pre-industrial organisations. The Amarelli company was thus born. Like today, sticks and drops were already being produced from liquorice transformed from sap drawn from the roots and concentrated over a fire.



1840

The enterprise continued to develop from father to son: in 1840, Domenico Amarelli opened a branch in Naples, the capital of Royalty and the second major European city after Paris.


1907

In 1907, Nicola Amarelli innovated by installing two steam boilers, the technical performances of which were presented in the Naples Agrarian Revue, and the products, increasingly well appreciated on foreign markets, received numerous awards.


1970

In the 1970's, Giuseppe Amarelli gave the family enterprise a tremendous boost, under the impetus of his son Giorgio - who was to die very young in 1986.


1987

In 1987, the enterprise won the Gold Medal from the Italian Chemical Company for having succeeded in uniting the excellence of the traditional craftsmanship of Amarelli products with the latest technology.


2001

In 2001, the Amarelli have inaugurated the "Giorgio Amarelli" Liquorice Museum which was awarded the Guggenheim Enterprise & Culture Trophy.




Top of page